We operate the following business segments: Pulp and Paper, Distribution and Personal Care. We had revenues of $5.5 billion in 2012, of which approximately 80% was from the Pulp and Paper segment, approximately 13% was from the Distribution segment and approximately 7% was from the Personal Care segment. Our Personal Care segment was formed on September 1, 2011, upon completion of the acquisition of Attends.
Pulp and Paper
We produce 4.2 million metric tons of hardwood, softwood and fluff pulp at 12 of our 13 mills. The majority of our pulp is consumed internally to manufacture paper and consumer products, with the balance being sold as market pulp. We also purchase papergrade pulp from third parties allowing us to optimize the logistics of our pulp capacity while reducing transportation costs.
We are the largest integrated marketer and manufacturer of uncoated freesheet paper in North America. We have 10 pulp and paper mills (eight in the United States and two in Canada), with an annual paper production capacity of approximately 3.4 million tons of uncoated freesheet paper. Our paper manufacturing operations are supported by 15 converting and distribution operations including a network of 12 plants located offsite of our paper making operations. Also, we have forms manufacturing operations at three offsite converting and distribution operations. Approximately 81% of our paper production capacity is in the U.S. and the remaining 19% is located in Canada.
We produce market pulp in excess of our internal requirements at our three non-integrated pulp mills in Kamloops, Dryden, and Plymouth as well as at our pulp and paper mills in Ashdown, Espanola, Hawesville, Windsor, Marlboro and Nekoosa. We sell approximately 1.6 million metric tons of pulp per year depending on market conditions. Approximately 50% of our trade pulp production capacity is in the U.S., and the remaining 50% is located in Canada.
Our Distribution business involves the purchasing, warehousing, sale and distribution of our various products and those of other manufacturers. These products include business, printing and publishing papers and certain packaging products. These products are sold to a wide and diverse customer base, which includes small, medium and large commercial printers, publishers, quick copy firms, catalog and retail companies and institutional entities.
Our Distribution business operates in the United States and Canada under a single banner and umbrella name, Ariva . Ariva operates throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwest areas from 16 locations in the United States, including 12 distribution centers serving customers across North America. The Canadian business operates in two locations in Ontario, two locations in Quebec; and from two locations in Atlantic Canada.
Sales are executed by our sales force, based at branches strategically located in served markets. We distribute about 52% of our paper sales from our own warehouse distribution system and about 48% of our paper sales through mill-direct deliveries (i.e., deliveries directly from manufacturers, including ourselves, to our customers).
Our Personal Care business sells and manufactures adult incontinence products and distributes disposable washcloths marketed primarily under the Attends brand name. During 2012, we acquired Attends Europe, a manufacturer and supplier of adult incontinence care products in Northern Europe, consolidating our ownership of the Attends brand on both sides of the Atlantic. We are one of the leading suppliers of adult incontinence products sold into North America and Northern Europe, selling to hospitals (acute care) and nursing homes (long-term care) and we have a growing presence in the homecare and retail channels.
We operate two manufacturing facilities, with each having the ability to produce multiple product categories. We also have a research and development facility and production lines which manufacture high quality airlaid and ultrathin laminated absorbent cores.
Attends operates in the United States and in Europe:
• Greenville, North Carolina: R&D, manufacturing and distribution
• Aneby, Sweden: R&D, manufacturing and distribution
• Jesup, Georgia: R&D, manufacturing and distribution